Member of Research Team / 3D Printing Technologist
In the era of intelligent work, we’re not just thinking about the future, we’re making it. Xerox Corporation (NYSE: XRX) is a technology leader focused on the intersection of digital and physical. We use automation and next-generation personalization to redefine productivity, drive growth and make the world more secure. Every day, our innovative technologies and intelligent work solutions—Powered by Xerox ®—help people communicate and work better.
The Hardware Research and Technology Laboratory (HRTL) at PARC (A Xerox Company) is a group of multi-disciplinary scientists and engineers who enjoy the opportunity to invent and develop new technologies, foster innovation, and launch new businesses. Research conducted by HRTL spans a wide range of technologies, including: 3D printing, IoT (internet-of-things) sensors, technologies for carbon capture and emissions reduction, digital x-ray detection, robotics, and much more.
The Materials Interfaces and Processes group within HRTL is looking for a Chemical Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Chemist or Materials Scientist to lead the development of new materials and applications for 3D printing. The candidate will contribute to process chemistry and materials synthesis for novel 3D printing applications, and drive the development of 3DP technology in new areas such as chemicals processes or biological applications. We are seeking someone who is a generalist, who can contribute in multiple areas of 3D print processing, mechanical design, and materials development and characterization. The candidate is someone who is passionate about commercializing technology, who can innovate and lead technology development, and who can successfully garner funding for new research areas.
- Prototype novel 3DP processes
- Develop polymer materials for new 3DP applications through synthesis and formulation
- Lead research, development, and demonstration (RD&D) projects as a Principal Investigator.
- Explore new areas and build new expertise to augment the wide range of lab efforts.
- Survey and identify new government sponsorship opportunities.
- Write research proposals for internal (Xerox) and external sponsorship.
- Communicate and document research activities within PARC and in the broader scientific community.
- Masters, +5 yrs experience or Doctoral degree +3 yrs experience, in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, or related fields.
- Hands-on experience with materials chemistry. Areas of particular relevance include: porous materials, polymer synthesis and post-functionalization, MOFs, catalysts and supports, or biomaterials and hydrogels
- Experience developing 3DP materials and processes for new applications. Areas of interest are biomedical applications, energy applications, and/or chemical processing/catalysis
Nice To Haves
- Application-specific computational modeling skills using software such as Ansys, or Comsol
- Hardware development and prototyping for 3DP printing
- 3D modeling using SolidWorks or similar software
- Responsible for all areas of design, research & development engineering. Includes R&D studies, mathematical modeling, design, evaluation, analyses, programming, testing and field trials evaluation.
- Primary purpose of this position is to drive the development of leading research and technologies.
- Incumbent demonstrates either deep domain knowledge or may lead teams / projects that invent / create new emerging technologies and translates them into prototypes, models, data structures, and interfaces to ultimately transfer as part of a time to market (TTM) product development process.
- Exercises considerable latitude in determining methods and approach.
- Helps guide the successful completion of major projects/programs.
- Makes decisions and recommendations within authorized limits
- Provides technical guidance to less experienced individuals and small project teams
- Incumbents are assigned non-routine and highly advanced assignments and responsibility.
- Uses best practices and knowledge of internal or external business issues to improve products or services
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience
- Requires in-depth knowledge and experience
- Decisions guided by policies, procedures and business plan
- Generally domestic scope/accountability
- Applies influence and extensive technical expertise in a broad field of knowledge and has full theoretical grasp of related disciplines.
- Develops technical solutions to complex problems that require the regular use of ingenuity, creativity and business judgement.
- Reuses and adapts previously used technologies and designs for the purpose of reducing Product Acquisition Spending and Time To Market (TTM).
- Designs simulation models to predict results and understand interactions
- Translates new / existing scientific knowledge into enabling technologies / platforms; performs analytical, experimental, and modeling work to solve business problems in a timely manner.
- Works closely with Business Division technical contributors outside the organization but within the company.
- Develops a broader Geographic / Xerox business perspective to effectively apply knowledge to solution development
- Person is listed on a number of quality ID’s
- Keeps abreast of trends and developments in their area of expertise, more extended areas, and is a subject matter expert in the external trends/developments.
- Team level project leadership skills are typically demonstrated and refined through various assignments.