Composite R&D Design Engineer – Mercedes
Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS Formula One Team is the works team of Mercedes-Benz, competing at the pinnacle of motorsport – the FIA Formula One™ World Championship. At the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team, a group of passionate and determined people work to design, develop, manufacture and race the cars driven by seven-time World Champion Lewis Hamilton and rising star George Russell.
The Team has set a new benchmark for Formula One success during the sport’s current Hybrid era, winning consecutive Drivers’ and Constructors’ World Championships in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020, and the Constructors’ Championship in 2021.
A fantastic opportunity has become available in our Composite Design Working Group for a Composite R&D Engineer. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting and leading projects to deliver both innovation and performance across all areas of the car design. You must be comfortable challenging yourself and others with respect and passion to drive our projects forward whilst striving to achieve the best possible results. You will exhibit an in-depth understanding of composites design, manufacturing processes & materials selection, and their applications with a solid first principles understanding.
As our Composite R&D Design Engineer, your responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for driving and delivering innovative high-quality engineering solutions for significant projects within the Engineering Group.
- Strong ownership of assigned project thought the product life cycle.
- Close collaboration across Engineering Group and Manufacturing departments to ensure fully integrated designs achieving optimal car performance.
- Identifying and highlighting opportunities to Lead Engineers & HoD.
- Leading Design reviews of assigned projects with respect to both performance and reliability.
- Delivering quality schemes to Stress Group in an efficient manner, allowing sufficient time to provide an optimised design solution.
- Definition of performance and reliability test & development programs for relevant designs & projects.
- Composite, Mechanical, or Aeronautical Engineering degree (2:1 minimum grade) or similar qualification.
- Have experience in F1, or other high performance composite industries, with a proven track record for delivering innovation.
- Experience of Catia V5/3DX design & FEA package would be beneficial.
- Understanding and ability to perform hand calculation to produce reliable and optimised designs.
- An in-depth understanding and ability to interpret FEA results.
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills to ensure clear direction for your projects and cross departmental integration
- High attention to detail and the ability to work under limited supervision to tight deadlines