Xerox makes every day work better. We are a workplace technology company, building and integrating software and hardware for enterprises large and small. As customers seek to manage information across digital and physical platforms, Xerox delivers a seamless, secure and sustainable experience. Whether inventing the copier, the ethernet, the laser printer or more, Xerox has long defined the modern work experience.
Xerox is building its customer-facing technical team and is seeking a dynamic Application Engineer / Senior Application Engineer (AE) – Additive Manufacturing (AM) to join the Xerox 3D Printing team. The team is dedicated to developing and delivering disruptive additive solutions across key vertical markets. The AE will drive innovation, development, and demonstration for high value applications across industries. To do so, the AE will collaborate and engage directly with external customers in support of application identification and validation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (Other duties may be assigned):
- Become a subject matter expert (SME) in the design (DFAM) and fabrication of liquid metal AM components and proactively share that expertise with existing and new customers globally to ensure success and maximize impact.
- Responsible for leading and performing all aspects of technical application development and documentation related to liquid metal AM from ideation through technical feasibility, development, test, and validation.
- Apply high- to expert-level design for additive manufacturing (DFAM) and CAD skills to customer concepts and benchmarks to demonstrate the capabilities of the liquid metal AM platform. Support Sales by coordinating and executing production of high-quality benchmark and concept/demo parts for customers that highlight the value of the technology.
- Deliver impactful presentations to customers on the technology in various forums (e.g. virtually, in-person, and at conferences / tradeshows) to advocate for liquid metal AM and highlight capabilities. Present printability assessments and DFAM results and recommendations to customers as part of the benchmarking process.
- Create and manage projects that systematically evaluate potential ideas using design of experiment methods to develop solutions that address identified trends, industry drivers, and technology gaps for application adoption within aerospace, automotive, heavy/industrial equipment, and other high requirements manufacturing industries.
- Act as project manager for various application development efforts as well as for installation of new liquid metal AM systems at customer sites.
- Provide inputs to strategic planning for the application engineering and product management teams by preparing reports based on trade studies, key industry partners’ and customer feedback, and cost benefit analyses for potential solutions or innovation ideas.
- Contributes to the development of intellectual property including trade secrets, patents and invention disclosures.
- Ensures regular communication primarily with product management, but also cross-functional engineering teams, materials development, manufacturing, customer service, purchasing, marketing, and sales to maintain an understanding of application requirements and specifications.
- Actively seeks out various educational and training opportunities to keep current and demonstrate continuous growth.
- Demonstrates commitment to Xerox Core Values by leading, acting and behaving in a manner consistent with these values.
- Follows all company safety policies and procedures and attends safety trainings related to the job.
Essential Education, Skills And Experience:
- Must be a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Materials Science, Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or similar. Equivalent professional technical experience in a relevant industry will also qualify a candidate.
- Minimum 3 years experience in additive manufacturing as an application engineer or similar technical role.
- Deep technical knowledge of additive manufacturing processes, applications, and design. Strong understanding of conventional manufacturing methods such as casting and machining and the associated advantages and limitations relative to AM.
- Demonstrated high to expert level 3D CAD skills and experience in Solidworks, NX, CATIA, or similar solid modeling programs preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to independently organize and prioritize multiple tasks to ensure timely completion.
- Must be creative, self-motivated, and be able to work effectively on projects with minimal direct supervision.
- Good verbal and written communication and presentation skills and the ability to resolve technical issues while maintaining a good working relationship with development partners, customers, and internal employees.
Desired Skills And Experience:
- Project leadership and project management skills highly desired. Ability to lead and mentor other technical staff on the team on projects as needed.
- Product management experience managing complex technical or product development projects.
- Strong understanding of multi-tiered supply chains, supply chain management, and procurement dynamics, as well as the limitations and pain points in conventional supply chains.
- Demonstrated experience identifying high value AM applications and converting conventionally manufactured components and tooling from traditional designs to additive.
- Deep understanding of metal-AM materials and processes, associated capabilities and common limitations, high value applications, and related business cases that impact adoption.